2015 has given us many gifts.
Princess Bubblegum. Caffeinated peanut butter. Music for cats. Yes, of course, you know and I know that Art Garfunkel has provided perfectly good music for cats.
But some extra-ambitious humans at the University of Wisconsin decided “to bring real, scientifically credible music to as many members of the animal kingdom as possible.” As a result, cats may now download “species-appropriate music.”
(OK, now I’m just being silly. Cats don’t download music. They are all about vinyl. Everybody knows that.)
While we’ve not yet invested in this sonic adventure for the Tabby’s Place cats*, we may have something even better.
The top ten albums of 2015, as selected by the Tabby’s Place cats. Allow a decalogue of our residents to share their most-loved lyrics of the year.
1) The Lone Bellow, Then Came The Morning
2) Delta Rae, After it All
3) Rhiannon Giddens, Tomorrow Is My Turn
4) Florence & The Machine, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
5) Dawes, All Your Favorite Bands
6) Sandra McCracken, Psalms
7) Hamilton original cast recording
8) Brandi Carlile, The Firewatcher’s Daughter
9) Houndmouth, Little Neon Limelight
10) Alabama Shakes, Sound and Color
On a list of their own: Mumford & Sons, Wilder Mind
They did. And they were right. A musical New Year to you, kittens. We love you more than all the notes in the soundscape.
*I bet ya 500 jars of caffeinated peanut butter that someone will now email me to ask why not and/or offer to donate to Tabby’s Place to make it happen. Gauntlet officially thrown down.