Lyrical gangsta and all-around awesome human Albert Schweitzer supposedly said the following:
“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.”
I’d dare say there are more than two, but I’d dare not disagree with Albie that those two are tops.
Where would we be without cats and music? Would we have even made it to 2017?* When all the ink is finally spilled over what did and didn’t happen in 2016, I earnestly hope the music is not forgotten.
And so, since you come here primarily for cat news, but secondarily for raging music recommendations, I’m pleased to bring you Disc 2 of delight today, a cat-selected smorgasbord of songs that made for moments of sanctuary in 2016.
by popular demand because I wanted to do it and I write this blog, the cats bring you another year of Music For Cats For Music. In no particular order, allow ten of our treasures to share their most-loved lyrics of the year that was.
1) Mumford & Sons and Baaba Maal, There Will Be Time, as selected by Anneke:
2) The Avett Brothers, Ain’t No Man, as selected by Adam:
3) Mavis Staples, Dedicated, as selected by Mona, Buddy and Newman:
4) The Stray Birds, Shining In The Distance, as selected by LuEllen:
5) Sandra McCracken, We Will Feast in the House of Zion, as selected by Adelaide:
6) Sia, Alive, as selected by Raja:
7) Mary Chapin Carpenter, Something Tamed, Something Wild, as selected by Faye:
8) Beyonce, Freedom, as selected by Chrissy:
9) Chance the Rapper, Blessings, as selected by OJ:
10) Darlingside, Go Back, as selected by Henrietta:
Sing on beyond your furthest edges, friends. There is much music to make in 2017.
*Of course we would not have made it to 2017, or 1917, and certainly not 717. 716 was a corker, but 717 was lit.
Bonus lyric from the cat for whom it could have been written: Sia, The Greatest, as selected by Bucca: