Full Post
October 5th, 2010 [15 Comments]

The Bialy story

by | Category: Feline Health, Tabby's Place

BialyI must start this post by saying how awestruck I am…by you.

The outpouring of love that you have shown Bialy in the past week is too wonderful to express in mere words. And our bobbly sweetheart is going to need all the love and prayer he can get in the days to come.

Bialy, as captured by wonderful volunteer J.M.

Bialy, as captured by wonderful volunteer J.M.

As I write this post, Bialy’s just come home from his sleepover at the neurologist’s office. The doctors and techs at the office were unanimous that this is one amazing little boy. As one tech said, “he purred for two straight days.”

That’s our bobble-baby.

I wish all the news from the neurologist was so sweet. Denise’s voice was heavy with sorrow as she gathered the staff into the Community Room for the update. It turns out that Bialy does, in fact, have hydrocephalus – and a rather severe case at that. This is not what we wanted to hear.

Apparently, the reason Bialy seems to have the symptoms of cerebellar hypoplasia (tottering and teetering around) is that there’s so much fluid sitting on his brain, it’s putting pressure on his cerebellum and mimicking CH.

But, I hasten to add, this is not necessarily grim news.

Bialy may be able to simply remain stable as he is, wobbling but happy and healthy, with no need of any medical intervention. If his motor skills get worse or he seems to be in any discomfort, we will need to put him on medication and/or have a shunt surgically placed to drain the excess fluid. The surgery would be a risk, of course, but we will do whatever is necessary for our little love-bug. If the shunt was effective, Bialy would likely need for it to be adjusted or replaced as he continues to grow.bialy

The neurologist was honest about the worst-case scenario, and so I must be honest with you who have loved this little guy so hugely. It is possible that Bialy has a mean disease called feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)…which is always fatal. It’s a very tricky disease to diagnose, and can manifest in a variety of ways. It tends to move quickly and brutally, as it did in little Marlee last year. The only way to know for sure if Bialy has it is if he begins to decline.

But, here’s the hopeful thing: the longer Bialy goes on without getting any worse or developing additional symptoms, the less likely it is that he has this wicked condition.

For now, the neurologist recommends that we take a “wait and see” approach. In a redeemed and perfect world, someday, a creature so loving and innocent as Bialy will never, ever have to face these scary possibilities. But even our own broken world is shot through with hope, and so I am praying fervently that Bialy will thrive in the years to come. Nine staff members, one hundred volunteers, 90 or so cats and the best hearts in the blogosphere (that’s you) are all praying that this angel-kitten will remain stable, or even – and this is quite possible – begin to improve as he grows.

BialyWords can’t fully express my thanks for all your love and caring for this very lucky, tiny boy. He is just a baby, but, because of you, Bialy has already known more grace than many beings (furry, human or otherwise) find in a lifetime. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

PS: We normally try to avoid posting big news about sponsored Special Needs babies here on the blog, out of respect for the sponsors who are supporting them and donating to get updates. But since Bialy has such a vast and breathtaking fan club, it seemed only right to post his latest news here today. Future updates will go to his sponsors – but Bialy is receiving visitors 365 days a year at Tabby’s Place, and would love to purr in the arms of each and every person who loves him. 🙂

Tags:

15 Responses to “The Bialy story”

1. mishale70 says:

I’ll definitely continue to pray for our sweet boy! Much love to him and all the human beans that care for him!

2. mina says:

Thank you for the update. I’ve been refreshing your blog all day to see if there was any news… he’s such a sweetheart. Wait and see is always a hard thing to do, but I’m taking his progress report as hopeful. Hugs and kisses to the Bobble Boy!

3. Karen says:

If love can keep this little one safe and healthy and alive — he’ll live forever! Stay strong, little one — we love you so much! Thank you, Tabby’s Place, for giving this special little cat a chance at a much-deserved wonderful life.

4. Carolina Cat Lover says:

Bialy, you will be in my thoughts and prayers daily, if support itself will do it for you, you’ll be around and healthy for a long time. I’m hoping to visit in November and look forward to meeting you.

5. beth says:

a few years back i found out about a kitten name Josh from the UK. He also had hydrocephaly. He is four years old now, and alive and well. You can read his story here

I hope bialy pulls through…. i’m thinking good thoughts for him

• Angela says:

Beth, thank you so much for the link – Joshie’s story made my day and gives me so much hope. Bialy sends you his louder-than-life purrs. 🙂

• stacyb says:

Hi Angela! I sent an email last week to the info@ email address with a full description of what life and treatment has been like for Fancy including my vet’s contact information in case your vet wants to consult with her. I couldn’t find anyone with hydrocephalus experience when Fancy was diagnosed so hopefully the information will help you.

You can see a picture of Fancy at this link:

Fancy is the tabby/white girl on the left. The gray cat she is cuddling with is my other handicapped cat who only has 2 legs, named Purrfect.

She has been doing well for the last 5.5 years. Over the last few months she started to lose weight so we’re doing frequent bloodwork. Her life will be shorter than other cats but she’s well loved and happy and I think that is what counts.

I think I will have to make time to visit Bialy! I’m so glad you guys are taking care of him. I know even without seeing him that he is a precious treasure.

Stacy & Fancy

6. SuzanneD says:

All paws and fingers are crossed here for sweet baby Bialy. I plan to stop by at Tabby’s Place in the next couple of weeks just to give him lots and lots of good luck kitten hugs.

7. Ayla says:

Awwww, purrs and prayers for Bialy! Hope he lives as wonderful a life as Josh. @ Beth, wonderful story! Thank god Bialy found TP and not a ‘charity’ like Josh! They’re both very lucky kittens!

8. nik11676 says:

Well wishes for the little bobble-headed baby!!! Glad I plan on stopping by today! I’ll have to give him some kisses. Let’s hope those “what if’s”, just stay “what if’s”!!!

9. dodgerzdad says:

Not sure if the neurologist is up on the latest developments of FIP treatments and tests, but you might want to ask him or her about the Rivalta test and also there is a fairly new experimental drug called Polyprenyl Immunostimulant for the treatment of immune problems with cats.

10. stacyb says:

Hi there. a friend of mine told me about Bialy. Ill make sure I email your organization as well. I have a hydrocephalus kitty myself. Her name is Fancy and she’s 5.5 years old. She is a major lovebug. Life hasn’t been completely easy for her but she has been happy! As long as I keep her on Prednisone and Phenobarbitol for her seizures she is pretty healthy. She can’t do stairs, jump or things like that but she can cuddle like a master. Her fontanelles have stayed open which is a good thing. Her skull has been able to expand a little as her condition has progressed. She has no idea that she handicapped and everyone loves her! Fancy also lives in NJ.

• Angela says:

Stacy, your message – and Fancy’s story – made my day. Thank you so much for sharing her life with us. I would love to see a photo of her! Meantime, I whispered to Bialy that he has a “big sister” right here in NJ cheering him on as he lives a long, happy, healthy life with hydrocephalus. God bless you for giving Fancy such a happy and well-loved, beautifully-cared-for life. Bialy (and all of us) would love to meet you if you ever have the chance to visit.

11. stacyb says: